Tools and Other Resources: Sample Language for Applications and Contracts
Authorizers may encourage or require similar language to be included in application materials or charter contracts, as appropriate.
1. Assurances regarding discrimination and adherence to state and federal laws:1
- [Insert name of school] will be open to all students, on a space-available basis, and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, age, ancestry, athletic performance, special need, proficiency in the English language or a foreign language, or academic achievement [insert appropriate state law/s].
- [Insert name of school] will adhere to all applicable provisions of federal and state law relating to students with disabilities including, but not limited to, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1974, and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and [insert appropriate state law/s].
2. Sample language regarding Child Find
- [Insert name of school] intends to serve students with disabilities in proportions greater than or equal to other public schools in its surrounding community. [Insert name of school] believes its educational model will attract families with children who have disabilities. Additionally, [insert name of school] will reach out to parent organizations, day care centers, and other community organizations within its region to inform them of its desire to serve students with disabilities. During school fairs or other outreach events, the school will have an official present who is intimately aware of the special education programs present at the school who will actively seek to engage interested parents of students with disabilities on the services offered, and connect these parents with the school’s team to ensure all relevant concerns can be addressed.2
1Adapted from Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education Application Guidance available at http://www.doe.mass.edu/charter/app/NewOperators.pdf
2Adapted from application to DC Public Charter School Board available at: http://www.dcpcsb.org/sites/default/files/report/DPPS%2BExperienced%2BOperator%2BApplication%2B%28Redacted%29.compressed.pdf