The Instructional Designer will bring expertise, creativity, and passion for adult learning and help transform the materials and resources that NACSA provides to adult learners.
About NACSA and Our Work
At the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA), our goal is to double the number of students in quality charter schools by 2025. To do this we focus on strengthening charter school authorizing—the work of authorizers to approve new charter schools and ensure each school is achieving great outcomes for students. If and how well authorizers fulfill their responsibilities directly shapes the quality of public schools available within a community.
That’s why we work with authorizers across the country to develop, implement, and maintain rigorous authorizing practices. We provide trusted, independent policy resources to build state foundations where charters can thrive. We conduct research to identify emerging issues and trends in the field that inform the national conversation.
Because every charter school has an authorizer, our work is making a difference for hundreds of thousands of students nationwide. There is no organization better poised to have this kind of impact.
Role and Major Responsibilities
NACSA recently acquired a Learning Management System (LMS), AuthoRISE. The LMS includes a wide range of learning capabilities, such as course and resource catalogs tailored to learner needs, structured modules that include a blend of engagement strategies, a live session platform with integrated registration and breakout room capabilities, certifications, basic testing and assessment tools, and a “social” features that will drive the establishment and nurturing of online forums and communities for peer to peer discussion and practice sharing. The Instructional Designer will play a critical role in optimizing each of these functions to further NACSA’s strategic objectives related to strengthening authorizer practice and building NACSA’s brand. AuthoRISE also will provide a mechanism to fulfill key deliverables for various grants and client-centered projects.
Manage and optimize NACSA’s LMS
- Think BIG about how to build NACSA’s capabilities as a virtual learning organization
- Develop entire courses/curriculum
- Continuously reshape content for changing needs
Create compelling and user-centric content
- Design and tailor individualized content according to what will drive behavior change for the specific audience
- Apply tested instructional design theories, practices, and methods
- State instructional end goals and create content that matches them
- Provide exercises and activities that enhance the learning process
Work closely with subject matter experts
- Work closely with subject matter experts to identify audience needs
- Create engaging learning opportunities from information rich material
- Visualize new and creative ways to get learning into the hands of users
The Instructional Designer will report the Director of Learning & Knowledge Management.
Does This Sound Like You?
You are driven by internal motivation.
- “Behind the scenes” work gets you genuinely excited
- You genuinely crave and respond well to feedback, and use it to become a stronger contributor
- You gauge the success of your work independently, not comparatively
You can move others to action.
- You can set forth a vision and inspire others to achieve it
- You build long-lasting partnerships
- You are comfortable sharing your breadth of knowledge with others
You embody professional maturity.
- You are comfortable asking questions to gain clarity
- You hold yourself responsible for results and are persistent
- You respond to challenges in a positive and proactive way
You communicate for impact.
- You cater content to the audience
- You simplify concepts so they are easily understandable
- You believe clarity is more important than thoroughness
You are a fast and eager learner.
- You are constantly learning and growing
- You value multiple perspectives and experiences
- You listen to others, and consider their opinions
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Advanced degree in instructional design or educational design
- Experience creating and using e-learning tools
- Experience building learning platforms from scratch a plus
All Staff Members Demonstrate Alignment With NACSA’s Values
- Impact: All your work is designed to increase and improve educational opportunities for children.
- Equity & Inclusion: You seek out diverse perspectives and evidence to challenge your beliefs, especially considering those most impacted by our work.
- Candor: You are honest with yourself and others.
- Shared Ownership: You take ownership for the work of the entire organization.
- Work-Life Integration: You respect professional and personal commitments and boundaries between them.
The compensation band for this position is $60,000 to $80,000, negotiable based on experience and education. NACSA provides an excellent benefits program with generous medical, dental, and disability coverage as well as the option to participate in a 401K matching plan.
NACSA is a virtual organization, with headquarters in Chicago.
NACSA encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and we seek to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applications should consist of a current resume and cover letter that is tailored to this specific position and also includes one personal interest, hobby, or cause. Please submit to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NACSA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.