The Staff Accountant will perform core accounting functions with a primary focus on Accounts Payable, Corporate Credit Card and Travel reimbursement processing. In addition, this position is responsible for processing contracts in compliance with underlying policies and procedures.
At the National Association of Charter School Authorizers (NACSA), we believe that all children should have access to public schools that prepare them for success in life. We achieve this vision by strengthening charter school authorizing – the work of approving, monitoring, and holding charter schools accountable. Quality authorizing is essential to ensuring that charter schools can play a vital role in providing better educational opportunities to children across the country. We work to improve authorizing by building an evidence base to inform best practices among hundreds of authorizers nationwide, shape state charter policies, and develop the growing authorizing profession.
Role and Responsibilities
- Assume primary responsibility for processing all vendor payments
- Maintain vendor files within accounting system, ensuring that current address and form W9 are on file along with payment history
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of paperless document management system
- Maintain and implement internal process and related accounting system application to encumber funds for contracted services
- Generate and review monthly encumbrance statements to ensure accurate budgeting and monitoring of contracted services
Corporate Credit Card and Travel Expense Processing
- Assume primary responsibility for administration and implementation of NACSA’s electronic credit card and receipt capture system
- Process staff expense reports and credit card statements, while serving as first reviewer of related reports and supporting documentation
- Ensure staff compliance with NACSA’s Travel and Corporate Credit Card Policy, while providing timely follow-up with staff, supervisors, and CFO to resolve reporting and documentation issues
General Accounting Support
- Provide ongoing general accounting support to include account reconciliations, preparation of related journal entries, monthly General Ledger close, and completion of work papers as assigned for the annual audit
- Provide other administrative and analytical duties as required
Contracts and Compliance
- Construct, review, and process contracts on behalf of the organization
- Review all contract terms to ensure compliance with federal and state laws, organization policies, and restrictions or prohibitions set by the funding source
- Ensure staff compliance with existing policies and procedures
- Maintain NACSA’s Contract Administration Policy & Procedures Manual
- Organize, maintain, and archive electronic and paper files of all active contracts
- Monitor the timely processing of contract development and execution
The Staff Accountant will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
Does This Sound Like You?
Friends describe you as highly organized.
- Your inbox and hard drive are well-organized and you can find a document within seconds
- There is no detail too small for you
- “Behind the scenes” work gets you genuinely excited
- You effortlessly juggle multiple competing requests and projects with grace
You exude a “customer service mentality.”
- You are warm and friendly, and enjoy making others feel comfortable and at ease
- You like helping others and enjoy responding to their needs
- You are good at getting others to do things for you—especially small, cumbersome tasks
- You can translate technical information in ways that people can easily understand
You solve problems before they begin.
- You do not wait to be told what to do
- You demonstrate superior judgment and can be trusted to make the right decisions
- You hold yourself personally responsible for results and are persistent as you follow up and follow through
- You are comfortable asking questions to gain clarity when needed
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, preferably in Business Administration
- Three years related experience along with demonstrated ability and desire to manage and perform hands-on activities in accounting and business administration
- Exposure and desire to expand knowledge in business contracts and governing laws
- Knowledge of Windows Office products with strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word
All Staff Member Demonstrate Alignment With NACSA’s Values
- Quality Education: We are mission oriented and driven by the belief that all children deserve high-quality education
- Excellence: We do A-level work and set a high bar for performance in order to achieve our ambitious
- Strategy: We begin our work with the end goal in mind, and align our priorities with NACSA’s Strategic
- Initiative: We proactively bring solutions to problems and do everything possible in order to reach desired
- Community: We are part of an inclusive community that seeks opportunities for collaboration, considers multiple viewpoints and respects and values
- Balance: We prioritize effectively to respect our professional and personal commitments and foster organizational and individual success.
The Staff Accountant will earn a salary between $55,000 and $60,000 commensurate with experience. NACSA provides an excellent benefits program with generous medical, dental, and disability coverage as well as the option to participate in a 401K matching plan.
NACSA’s headquarters are located in Chicago.
NACSA encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and we seek to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
The review of candidates will begin immediately and continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applications should consist of a current resume and cover letter that is tailored to this specific position and also includes one personal interest, hobby, or cause. Please submit to email@example.com.
NACSA is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.