Authorizing Data in Depth: Applications
Click on any image to enlarge.
- Large authorizers reported receiving an average of 9.8 applications in 2015, a marked drop from the previous year.
- After a jump in applications received from 2011 to 2012, large authorizers have reported receiving fewer applications for new charter schools every year since then.
- In 2014-15, large authorizers approved 36% of all applications for new charter schools, consistent with an upward trend since 2013.
- HEI and ICB authorizers tend to show an upward trend in application approval rates.
- LEAs, and to some degree SEAs, show a slight downward trend, although it varies from year to year.
- Nearly two-thirds of large authorizers report receiving at least one application for a new charter school from an existing operator.
- The percentage of authorizers that received new charter applications from existing operators has increased slightly since 2014.