Preserving Charter School Autonomy and Accountability in ESEA Flexibility
NACSA is pleased to advise our members that the U.S. Department of Education has made important clarifications to the ESEA Flexibility Waiver process that protect charter school autonomy while ensuring that charters can be held to a high level of accountability. NACSA had identified concerns that the original waiver provisions might inadvertently interfere with charter school autonomy and accountability, and met with Department officials, including Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, to propose solutions. The Department's most recently published guidance specifically addresses the issues raised by NACSA, ensuring that authorizers can continue to execute their responsibilities in states that are granted ESEA waivers.
- Full Press Release—NACSA Commends U.S. Department of Education for Recognizing Charters and Authorizing in ESEA Waiver Process
- U.S. Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Waiver FAQ Addendum
- NACSA Guidance on ESEA Flexibility Waiver FAQ Addendum
- NACSA Next Steps for ESEA Flexibility Waiver
- Education Week Article on ESEA Flexibility Waiver
Additional ESEA Flexibility Resources:
Preserving Charter School Autonomy and Accountability in ESEA Flexibility - Letter from NACSA President Greg Richmond
U.S. Department of Education ESEA Flexibility.
|We also encourage you to share your experiences, what worked for you and what didn't, by leaving comments on NACSA's blog.|
We invite you to share your thoughts on this issue in NACSA’s LinkedIn Group. We hope that together we can share dialogue that can lead to the preservation of autonomy and accountability within the charter school sector.